Sunday, February 20, 2011

Headwinds

Wow, what a day yesterday was.  The sun was high, temperatures were ideal Spring temps and the wind was blowing like only mother nature can get them to blow.  With the winds projected to be at a sustained level of 20 mph and gusts up to 40 I left the house about an hour before the meet up time for the Saturday morning Team in Training ride.

This week we were doing one of my favorite rides which leaves from the Cloverhill Recreation Complex which has now been renamed Horner Park.  It took me about 45 minutes to make the 14 mile ride over due to the Westerly blowing headwind.  Once arrived and we all had gathered, I gave a quick description of the course so the Team would know what to expect.  "It is all flat except for the hills."  Really?  Did I just say that?

The Team did a great job battling the wind all morning long.  There was only minimal complaining about it and those were mostly made sarcastically.  They just kept turning the pedals over and enjoyed the country scenery. 


Once we finished I still had to make the ride back to the house.  The ride home was certainly faster for a couple of reasons.  No headwind, legs were warmed up, I had eaten a couple packs of Powerbar Gel Blasts (which I may have new favorite flavor, Raspberry) and I was racing the clock to get home as fast as I could to help Jenn at least a little bit around the house before some friends came over and I fired up the grill.

No comments: